Friday, May 1, 2009

Every day in May...





I have seen this challenge in blogs all over the web. I couldn't decide whether to participate and then I thought, what the heck. How hard can it be? Hmmm, I might regret posing that question. I think it's meant to be a drawing/painting challenge but I probably won't be doing that every day. And I figure knitting is just painting with wool and needles instead of paints and brushes....

Admittedly it's late in the day on 1 May but I have been creative today. I'm finalising a mini-project for the knitting group I belong to at home in Australia. In a nut shell, the little project is a 30x30cm knitted square that is joined with eight other knitted squares (one created by each member of the group) to make one big, lovely, bright and cheery knee rug. Each year we meet to have a Christmas in July (is this just an Aussie thing???). In the past we knitted a little gift and had a lucky dip but last year we came up with the brilliant idea of a collaborative blanky. Unfortunately, only one blanky can be created each year. The recipient's name is drawn from a hat and there is much whooping, cheering and dancing on the rug. It's going to take nine long years for us all to get a blanky so we have also inadvertently, developed a way of maintaining a committed membership to the group. Sinister snarl, snigger, snigger, snigger.

The sad thing is...I can't share any pics with you as the whole thing is a surprise for everyone. Everyone that is, other than the fabulous Miss Loani Prior. You see, she has the onerous task of piecing together nine very different squares into one gorgeous blanket. Thankfully she's great at this sort of thing. She's more than great, she's incredibly talented - but don't tell her or she'll never shut up about it. If you would like to know how big her greatness is then view her blog which is all about her creative life as the Grand Purl Baa - oh, and there's a little bit about her bestselling book, Wild Tea Cosies too.

But just for good measure, here is last year's blanky. My square is bottom left.



So, for now you will just have to trust that I have done something creative and when the time is right I will post a little pic of my little square that has been lovingly conceived and knitted and joined to its equally lovingly conceived and knitted cousins.

1 comment:

  1. I love your telling of the blanky story. Gees. Better get to my own 30x30 square.

    And as for that other woman being 'talented' I reckon she's just a great big loud showoff, playing the 'game' game.

    ReplyDelete